PDA

View Full Version : Tuning the M18

patcollins
01-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Thought I would create a thread dedicated to tuning the M18s suspension.

Ideas I have

1) Adjustable rear toe as soon as I can get 4 of the X-Ray rod ends I plan on making an adjustable rear toe system and maybe reduce this to 3 dregrees when runing my 300 motor and possibly all the way to 1 when runing the stock motor. If I reduce the rear toe I should be able to take corners with less steering throw. I find that the only time I get over steer is when I jerk the wheel to fast and I either get a traction roll or spin out.

2) Antisquat, I think if I use a shim under the lower rear suspension mount that I can achieve some antisquat. Im not entirely sure antisquat will be helpful or not but on 1/10th sedans adding antisquat will give you slightly less rear traction entering the corner but will give you a little more rear end straight ahead traction accelerating out of the turn.

adult_driver
01-19-2004, 11:23 AM
What about front toe-in while you are at it? Would really help with tracking.

I think the extreme toe-in is needed in the rear because of the free-wheeling differential. With a little bit of toe-in on the front to help out with tracking, the extreme toe-in on the rear could be reduced.

patcollins
01-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I plan to address that eventually, just doesn't rate as high on my priority list.

Inferno
01-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by patcollins

2) Antisquat, I think if I use a shim under the lower rear suspension mount that I can achieve some antisquat. Im not entirely sure antisquat will be helpful or not but on 1/10th sedans adding antisquat will give you slightly less rear traction entering the corner but will give you a little more rear end straight ahead traction accelerating out of the turn.
I think adding anti squat to this car may not be the answer but if you were to do it you would need to put a spacer or shim inside of the rear suspension balls of the rear arms between the balls and tranny and between the front suspension balls of the rear arms and chassis.This will maintaing the proper angle for the drive shaft while giving you anti-squat.You could also play with roll center doing this as well by adding shims selectively to under the diffs.

patcollins
01-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Ok the shim thing for antisquat just doesnt work out that great due to the way the arms mount between the gearbox and chassis.

Today I turned down my shaft a little so the speed 300 wont rub with the 17 tooth pinion on there, I sure wish I could get a 16 on without rubbing.