PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum rear motor pod

ayougo
11-25-2003, 11:23 PM
can i use my two piece aluminum rear motor pod ona 540 conversion. Can i use my cnr rims on there too without making one wheel look *** and off center?

quietfly
11-26-2003, 10:38 AM
http://www.danmarx.org/micro/540/rides/ssghybrid2.jpg

http://www.danmarx.org/micro/540/rides/ssghybrid4.jpg

You must use converted stock rims inorder for the kit to work correctly.

-Chris

hated1racing
11-26-2003, 10:46 AM
you can use a alloy rear motor pod you just have to grind it down. i used jb weld and one screw to attatch the motor plate. it is a lot more work than the plastic one but, it looks good....

Nismo GT-R
12-09-2003, 12:30 PM
hated1racing

How much more material needs to be removed from the rear motor pod then when using a TO Big Block?

quietfly
12-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Nismo GT-R
hated1racing

How much more material needs to be removed from the rear motor pod then when using a TO Big Block?

Alot more,
you need to grind down almost all the way to the Bearing housing. I used a bandsaw it was just quicker. It's well worth it though. It looks So good with the alum. mount.

-Chris

Nismo GT-R
12-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Do you have a photo of you work. Would like to see the angle and depth of the cut.

quietfly
12-09-2003, 02:56 PM
unfortunately i'd have to take it all apart to show you exactly what your asking to see. I was so excited to build it that i didn't bother to take pictures as i went along. Maybe if i get snowed in again i'll take time to do it.

-Chris

Nismo GT-R
12-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks any way quietfly.

Snow whats that :.) Im in southern California the state you get Storm Watch 2003 when we get .0001" of rain.

hated1racing
12-09-2003, 03:22 PM
the black one i am going to mod for the ssg is a gpm one i believe and doesnt have as much material to remove as the hot bodies one i did before. if you have a dremel with a cut off wheel and some patience it isn't difficult at all. just time consuming.....

ricer4life48
12-09-2003, 03:58 PM
hold on here, im kind of confused a bit. i just got my ssg chassis in yesturday and i was looking at some of chris's or dan's ssg with the black motor pod and i was wondering, that's a aluminum pod right? also would i have to do any grinding to the kind of motor pod you guys have in the picture shown above? and if so would i only have to grind down that top screw hole? and drill that 3/32 hole in the bottom?

because id rather buy like the black motor pod shown above than grind down a plastic one. cuz i have grinded down or dremeled down more than 10 motor pods for my 400 micro and it takes some amount of time but i am just tired of doing that kind of stuff. but if i have to then i will. but willl it be much easier to just buy a aluminum pod like the pic above and do some of the mods to that pod?

Nismo GT-R
12-09-2003, 04:10 PM
If I am following the post from quietfly correctly then YES you will have to do some grinding.

The next post from hated1racing said he was going to use a GPM (I think plastic) and that does not require to much grinding.

In both YES you will have to grind. I am still waiting for my SSG but think that it comes with a CD that will tell you all this.

Happy Grinding

aktiondan
12-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Whether you use an aluminum axle carrier (like the GPM one that Chris and I both used) or the stock one, the modifications will be the same. You need to cut part of the bearing edge support (in the shape of a D), drill the 3/32" hole, and grind down the front side of the bearing housings. The instructions only show you how to do it with the stock carrier, but the method is the same. The difference is how it gets done. The stock piece is plastic, all you need is some sandpaper and a hobby knife. But the GPM one is aluminum so you have to use a Dremel, or a belt sander, or grinder of some sort. Sandpaper might work, but would be very time consuming. The GPM mount does does cool, but it is a little bit harder to modify, but if you've got the patience, and the tools, then by all means you should use it, because it looks great.

Dan

Nismo GT-R
12-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Dan thanks for the information. Can not wait to get started on my project vehicle.

ricer4life48
12-10-2003, 10:09 AM
me too! thanks